I ran my 5th marathon in May. It was the Ogden marathon, so very close to home which is nice for travel expenses! It was a beautiful WET course. About a week and a half before the race, the weather was supposed to be in the 80's for the high (which would have been almost perfect in my perfect world). Then it slowly started changing and then changed to rain. Fine, I could deal with a little drizzle. And it only called for a 50% chance of rain. Better yet.....overcast! Nope, it was pouring down rain the entire 26.2 miles. Not so much fun to run in. I had a long sleeve shirt I was just going to "warm-up" in, but ended up wearing it almost 15 miles of the race. When I finally decided to pitch it (because it was hanging down to my knees) I could barely throw it to the side of the road because it was completely saturated and heavy. Guess it was a good thing I ditched the extra 5 lbs of water. My hands were so cold I could barely open my GU's and drink at the water stations. Thank goodness for my teeth! Overall, it wasn't too bad though! I missed my PR by 28 seconds, which later I realized was not bad compared to a lot of others given the weather conditions. I finished in 3 hrs 16 minutes and 40 seconds. My legs were spent by mile 19 and Scott jumped in at mile 22 with me. Thank goodness he did not care that we were going way slower than I wanted to be at that point! At first I told him this would be my last marathon.....but he knew better and just laughed. My cute sister came down for the race and was sweet enough to stand in the rain and take a few pictures. Most are blurry but you get the idea. I kept trying to talk Scott into giving me his fresh legs but he just couldn't do it! I am grateful for him jumping in with me though. It was a great relief when I saw him and great to have him by my side when I wasn't strong enough to do it on my own! I hope to run another one sometime and PR by 28 seconds (or more)!
Scott was ready to take off and pull me behind!
Soaking wet and freezing cold in the recovery area!
Trying to look cute when I looked like a drowned rat!
Thanks sister Sarah for your support and taking pictures. Thanks Cassidy who encouraged me to sign up for the race and for coming to Utah to run it too. Thanks Scott for the amazing husband you are. For watching the kids through all my training and for running with me when the going got tough!
1 comment:
You're a cute drowned rat. Very impressive. That looks pretty miserable.
Post a Comment