Warning!!!!! LOTS of pictures! Day 3 in Mexico we drove (in our poquito carro) down to Tulum (ruins on a cliff) to explore. It was sooooooo cool. Amazing to have a little city built right there on cliffs and right on a gorgeous beach. I kept thinking this was paradise. We weren't with any tour group so we walked at our own pace then went swimming in the amazing beach.
We're thinking these people were pretty small.
Egyptian? or Mayan?
The quality of these pictures aren't the greatest, but it gives an idea of what this place looked like.
Look a Monkey!
This water was B-E-A-Utiful
This was one of the temples. We actually overheard an LDS tour guide talking so asked her some questions. This temple had paintings of a lot of symbolism and some of them were hand prints painted red -- signifying the passing down of the Priesthood. She said it was about the time frame of a little before 400 A.D - 1500 A.D.
These friendly little guys were ALL over. Kinda creepy!
Yup, thinking these people were little.
The beach were we swam (with everyone else and their dog).
We met Gabriel who sold us on a little excursion of snorkeling in cenotes (underground rivers and caves) and in a lagoon. The Yucatan Peninsula is made up of limestone and eventually erodes, thus forming underground rivers that are dry at first then fill with rain water and ocean water. This was really cool to do. I was very hesitant at first because I tend to get a little claustrophobic in underground places and caves. I only had to talk myself out of the anxiety twice. Scott, of course, LOVED it. I am glad he talked me into doing it. When else would we try something like that? Gabriel rode with us in our rental and said in return he would give us free Spanish lessons. He was a funny guy. While snorkeling in the cenotes I was right on his tale afraid I would get lost. He probably thought I was a little loco!
Scott the snorkeler.
This was the lagoon area......so pretty!
This was fresh water and ocean water mixed. Under water you could see the mixture and it looked like oil. It was really cool. Cold cave fresh water in some spots and warm ocean water in others. I preferred to stay in the ocean water. We saw needle nose fish and then a smaller sword fish (which was actually pretty big), saw a lot of rainbow fish and other fish who were not afraid of us. I did not like how close they wanted to be to me.
A shark?
Our friendly guide, Gabe!
Our last night in the lobby. We had to walk around after our first dinner making room for yet another dinner later. We took FULL advantage of the ALL-Inclusive! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment